Questions:
1. What was your reasoning for becoming an athletic trainer?
I wanted to work in a field that meshed sports with the field of medicine. I didnt know what athletic training was until I got to college. I thought I wanted to be a Physical Terapist because I had some injuries while playing sports in high school and that was the first person I saw because my small high school did not have an athletic trainer. When I got to college I played baseball at North Georgia and they had trainers and I realized that was what I was actually looking for. You get to do rehab like a PT but also get immediate and emergency training like EMTs. It love it.
2. What classes did you find the most helpful?
Athletic training programs have a set order and curriculum that must be followed. It starts with anatomy, types of injuries, and progresses to rehab. Each class is extremely important for each skill. I think they were all equally important because if you did not take them all you would not understand certain joints, bones, muscles, rehabs, surgeries, etc. Before getting into the AT program I feel like anatomy and physiology were the most helpful.
3. What is your favorite part of the job?
The best part is seeing athletes return to full participation pain free after suffering an injury. Its very rewarding. I also love watching sports!
4. What part of the job do you dislike the most?
Thats easy. No athletic trainer loves the amount of hours they work and all the weekends they have to work. We can easily work 80-90 hours a week and go for months without off days. It has a high rate of "burnout" if you dont take care to manage your work hours.
5. What sport do you like to work with the most?
I loved football when I worked at the high school! There is nothing like football. Since we dont have that here I love working with baseball. Never a dull moment. And I played it so I get to be hands on and actually work with the catchers.
6. What injury is the most common that you have to treat?
Ankle sprains are really common. But personally since I work cross country it has to be shin splints or medial tibial stress syndrome.
7. As an athletic trainer, what is the most difficult part of your job?
Again I would say the hours and the weekends. Also, dealing with difficult athletes and coaches can always be a problem. Luckily it isnt that bad here. Its also hard dealing with the emotional aspect of injuries.
8. What advice would you give those pursuing a career in athletic training?
Study hard and have a passion for the field. If not youll never make it. Dont be scared to do things that you dont know how to do. Thats the only way to get the experience and, in turn, the confidence. Dont be afraid to say you dont know something if your not sure what an injury is. Learn to MANAGE your time. It is crucial, crucial, crucial. You wont get the stuff done you need to and it will kill you if you dont learn this trait.
No comments:
Post a Comment