After reading the slideshow “Becoming Invaluable,” I began to think more about how I needed to become even more diverse to stand out amongst the thousands of other students preparing for a job in the athletics and/or sports industry. As a female, I have to work very hard to stand out amongst my male peers who may automatically be considered first. A big thing that stood out to me during the reading was how a student, such as myself, must learn to be more diverse than other kinesiology majors when pursuing my dream career and landing a job. For example, if I were to add a minor in psychology or business along with my exercise science degree, I would have a stronger resume than a student without a relative minor.
Finding internships is also a very important aspect of becoming an athletic trainer. I have already held an internship for Danny Copeland (Redskins Safety, Superbowl Champion) over the summer of 2010 doing various tasks in the gym, field, and office. This experience gave me practical work skills as well as a fantastic reference for my future. Finding good contact in the industry may be difficult to come by, but are crucial for finding jobs and more internships. Also, one thing that sets me apart from other students is my work experience at Berry College. I have worked in the Athletics Department for home games, so I know the basics of running sports events, as well as basic office work for the department. I am also a student athletic trainer for the running team at Berry College, which definitely boosts my resume. By being a student athletic trainer, I am able to learn crucial skills that I will need in my professional development.
Overall, the slideshow was very interesting and helped me to think about developing plans for my future in academics, internships and more. By gaining connections and contacts through hard work, I will be able to follow my dream of becoming an athletic trainer and helping athletes to reach their fullest potential.
No comments:
Post a Comment