Welcome to my blog!

This is my blog for my KIN 330 class for fall semester at Berry College

Monday, November 1, 2010

PDFE 9


·       Reflect upon your personal physical activity/physical education background and summarize
o   This should include formal school physical education but is not limited to that setting

Beginning in the fifth grade, my private school had children attending PE once a week for that whole year.  This was really not enough time for the teacher, who could not teach us much in 40 minutes a week.  From 6th-9th grade we were required to take a whole year of PE/health education.  I was never a big "fan" of my PE class, as I was not athletically inclined during my former years.  However, my greatest achievement was being the leader for 3/4ths of the 1 mile run test.  My classmates and PE teacher were very surprised at this.  (Now, to add further shock value, I am running 1/2 marathons).  Being overweight and leading an unhealthy lifestyle in my younger years made PE not my favorite class, this was just due to a lack of enthusiasm on my part.  My teachers were very good about mixing up games and sports for us to do.  I was very involved in horse back riding from a young age, competing at the local, regional, and national level at some points during my career.  I competed in dressage, show jumping, and eventing through high school.  When I was a senior in high school I began working out with former Super Bowl Champion ('92, Redskins) Danny Copeland, who was the first person to really invest time in me athletically and help tap my potential as a long distance runner.  I still hold the record for most push ups in a minute -82- at his gym.  



·       Assess current Georgia recommendations for Physical Education
o   Indicate whether you consider them adequate and why/why not
o   What would you consider an ideal or quality program (you do not have to adhere strictly to the handout provided in class … this is purely opinion).
I think that they are NOT adequate due to the lack of required time.  I was lucky to go to a school that required more time than average, but I believe a direct link can be found from the lack of PE/HE and obesity rates. 


·       Evaluate the importance of PA/PE for children
o   Why is each particularly important for this age range
 Children tend to learn lifelong healthy habits early in life, the early and more in-depth that they learn these habits the more likely they will be able to carry them over for not only their lives but the lives of their relatives and children.  By emphasizing the emportance of good health and regular exercise, we can literally transform America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment